6 Things To Know Before Coming To Antwerp
Antwerp – The City Of Diamonds, Chocolate And Beer Is The Capital Of The Province With The Same Name, In Flanders, In The Northern Part Of Belgium.
Before you come to Antwerp, read our short guide to avoid potential troubles.
1. In this part of the world, people communicate in Dutch, French and German (official languages), but the majority speaks also English.
2. An expat is required to register his residence. The registration obligation is observed very strictly. In a declaration made at the commune office, you will inform the authorities about the place and time you want to spend here.
The statement is made for stays longer than 90 days, and it is made within about 8 days from the day of arrival.
3. Another requirement is the legalization of documents. A personal ID, driving license must be legalized in the appropriate office. Failure to do so is bonded with financial penalties.
4. It is worth taking with you the following documents, as well as copies thereof and versions translated into the official language:
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate
- school-leaving diplomas or professional certificates
5. In case you come to Antwerp on a long-term business trip, your employer must complete the necessary form to get a work permit for you. Such a declaration is made via the Internet on the website of the registration system for employees from abroad before starting work.
6. In Belgium, there are 12 public holidays a year, which are statutorily free from work. If the holiday falls on Sunday, then the day off is moved to Monday.
Did you know that…
Two landmarks are visible on our planet from the Universe. The first is the Great Wall of China, and the second is … Belgium, or more precisely its highways. In this part of Benelux expressways are located the most densely in the world.